An old piece of church history extracted from [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
The church of St. Andrew is an ancient structure in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, porch, with parvise over it, and a tower containing 5 bells, recast and rehung in 1898, at a cost of over £300: the interior of the church was restored and reseated in 1846, and again in 1877, at a cost of £2300, of which £1,000 was contributed by the 9th Duke of Bedford K.G.: it contains a mural monument to Richard Nicolls, of Ampthill House, killed in the engagement between the fleets of England and Holland, May 28th, 1672; the cannon ball which occasioned his death is inlaid in the marble, with the inscription, "Instrumenturn Mortis et Immortalitatis:" here is also a marble pillar in memory of the Earl of Upper Ossory, and a brass to Sir Nicholas Hervey knt one of the knights of the Field of the Cloth of Gold, and in the suite of Katherine of Arragon when she resided at Ampthill, Castle: in 1892 the church was improved and partly refitted at a cost of £1,000; the east window is stained; the stone pulpit was presented by Mrs. Wingfield, of Ampthill House; the font by Mrs Eagles and the altar rails and pavement in the chancel by Lady Ampthill. In the vestry is a clerical library, founded, by Dr. Bray. An addition of one acre was made to the churchyard in 1883, the gift of the Duke of Bedford, who also bore the cost of inclosing it with iron railings: the church will seat 700 persons. The register dates from the year 1558.