The Chapter House
The approach to the chapter house from the interior of the church is through the door beneath the blank east window of the north aisle. The passage way leading through the former choir vestry, is known as THE SLYPE. This part of the church was added in the 19th century. Ahead, the former rector's vestry is now occupied by the choir, while an upper room, created when the chapter house was built, serves as a store for the sacristan's equipment and an office for the treasurer. This upper room is approached from a passage along the organ gallery, and through a door formerly the external door to the vestry.
Where the slype forms the link between the older building and the chapter house is the rector's vestry, with a display case for exhibition material on one side of the door, and a framed needlework panel of S.Andrew, patron of the parish, originally the central motif of the Victorian church banner, on the other.
The most notable feature of the interior of the chapter house is the pitch-pine roof, from the centre of which hangs a chandelier purchased with a bequest from Miss Florence Dillingham (1891-1978) a life long member of the congregation.
On a bracket fixed to the facing wall is a carved angel made in 1927 by Ted White, a local craftsman, to replace one of the mediaval angels supporting the nave roof. In the 1967 renewal of the roof, the original angel was reinstated, and this modern copy was provided with new wings and painted by Ian Page with the arms of the Prestons of Bedfordshire, thus commemorating Amy Preston, whose bequest financed the building.
The chapter house and related works were dedicated on 12th September, 1976, by the Rt Revd Robert Runcie, M.C., M.A., then bishop of Saint Albans and subsequently Archbishop of Canterbury.
Taken from "Ampthill Church" written by Andrew Underwood